Christ Raja Convent, Perumbavoor
|Address||Perumbavoor p o|
St. Mary's Catholic Church, Perumbavoor was established in the year 1926. There was no religious convent as there were only a few Catholic Members in the initial stages. Due to the incessant effort of the then Vicar, and a Catholic person named Olassayil Philip who got permission from His Excellence Mar Augustine Kandathil a property was purchased on 25th August 1954 to start a religious convent under the guidance of General Superior.
ORIGIN AND DEVELOPMENT:
The old building in a campus area of three acres was blessed on 25th August 1954 and three sisters started living here. Rev. Sr. Seleena from Parur Convent took the charge as Convent Superior along with Sr. Beatrice from Karukutty Convent as the Assistant Superior and Sr. Whillibrod from Kuruppampady Convent as permanent members. A chapel was attached to the convent and blessed on 31st May 1961, thenceforth the catechism classes started here.
On 6th June 1967, a Nursery School was started here. At first there were 13 students in the school. On 10th October 1975, two more class rooms were built. On 9th June 1977 an English Medium School was started and the school was named as ' Vimala English Medium School'. Sr. Elphig was the teacher in First Standard. On 4th July 1977 Sr. Daniel started sewing and stitching classes in the school.
The sisters in the convent are always determined to give good education to their students and renewal of their family. So they started House Visiting Programme in a rapid manner. We got ardent support and co-operation from the people in and around us. The sisters in the convent showed great interest to the church ceremonies also. They prepared particles for the Holy Mass to the Parish Church. Above all they co-operated in all the works of Catholic Association and Organization. On 13th April 1983 Vimala English Medium School got recognition from Kerala State. As it was very difficult to get up- gradation and recognition for the higher sections, the management took a unanimous decision to start ICSE Syllabus. The new curriculum was begun in 2005 under the name 'Vimala Central School, Perumbavoor.'
Now there are about seven hundred students studying here.
Now there are 10 members in Christu Raja Convent, Perumbavoor. The Mother Superior is Sr.Clare Anto . The sisters in the convent are leading classes for Catechism, Family Units and Catholic Association and Organisation ( Thirubalasakhyam, CLC, Women Welfare, Family Apostolate, etc.,). We get great support from each and everyone around us.